Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Christmas

So, this year we decided to get our kids ipods for Christmas. That is the one thing they really wanted. We bought them each the color they wanted. But later on, we decided that we would get them cell phones that play mp3's instead. But, we wanted to mess with the kids a little bit. So, one afternoon, David and I decided to let the kids see the ipods "accidentally". I hopped in the shower one day after work and left the ipods sitting on our bed, like I forgot to put them away. The kids came home from school while I was in there, and we hoped that they would look for me and see the ipods. David wanted to make sure they saw them, so he called them on the phone and had Josh looking all over our room for a fictional piece of paper he needed. So we knew that he saw them. But he never said anything. Then we sold the ipods on ebay. So, on Christmas morning, we didn't put the phones under the tree. We had them open up their other meager gifts like that was it. They were all very appreciative. But then David pulled an envelope out of the tree for the kids which proceeded to send them on a scavenger hunt all through the house until they ended up back at the tree where we had put their presents. Then we had them open them at the same time. They were so shocked! I know what Josh was expecting. It was priceless! Katie was shaking, and Josh kept saying, "this is not real. this is not real." We have put major restrictions on texting so they don't end up one of those addicted kids who can't have normal conversations anymore. Our Christmas was awesome! We hung out in jammies all day and enjoyed prime rib for dinner. David and I gave each other new cell phones too. David has the G1 and I have the motozine. Pretty cool.



On a sad note, we found out that David's grandpa Stevens died this afternoon. He has been declining health-wise for some time. He was 91 but has had 92 birthdays (that was a saying that he loved). We always enjoyed talking with him and hearing his stories. The kids will really miss their Grandpa Great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was laughing so hard! That is a cute idea to keep them guessing and thinking that they knew what they were going to get. Maybe one of these Christmases we will have to employ the same strategy. I miss and love you to pieces! Merry Late Christmas!

The Shep's Herd said...

very smart!!! Very Funny !!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that video! David cracks me up everytime. :D I don't have the guts to mess with my kids that way. You two are the masters!