Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Our Interesting Gardens....

Earlier this year, in the Spring, we decided that we were going to plant a garden this year. David spent a lot of time and labor digging and building the garden boxes for me. By the time he was done building, it was soooooooo hot during the day! And we flaked out on planting :( So just some weeds grew for a while. Fast forward a couple months. We are eating dinner outside on our patio, and we notice this strange thing growing in one of the garden boxes. We investigate and we don't recognize it at all, so we leave it alone to see what happens. A few weeks later, we check it out again, and guess what? It's a tomatillo plant!!! What?!! And it's flourishing and has lots of tomatillos growing on it. Where in the world did this come from? I asked out neighbor who had threatened to throw seeds over the fence because we didn't plant anything. She said that the previous owners planted tomatillos and now they just randomly pop up in different places. I guess one of them decided to pop up in the middle of one of our garden boxes. I even took pictures to prove it to you!

 
 The giant plant above, the tomatillo below. And there are a lot of them!

 
 I can't wait to make creamy tomatillo dressing with them. I hope they taste good...


Now on to the other "interesting" garden. In our front flower garden, we have a bunch of snap dragons. Many colors, so beautiful! They have spread like crazy and morphed into new colors. Lovely! Now, who would have thought that when these pretty flowers die, and the petals fall off, they would look like tiny little skulls!! Look below for proof!

 
 I know these pictures are a little fuzzy because it was hard to get a close up of these little things, but you can see what I'm talking about. Tiny little skulls. I have tons of them now. I'm tempted to make little Halloween necklaces. Glue hair on them...you know. The possiblilities are endless! If you want a close look, feel free to stop and look as you pass by sometime.


 
So, random tomatillo plants popping up in the garden, and a little skull garden in the front. You're jealous, right?

1 comment:

Katie said...

You can garden even when you're not trying :)